2021 Reflections program is now open!
The Reflections program is a National PTA cultural arts competition. The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to creatively express themselves through their own original works of art created around a specific theme.
Reflections theme for 2021-2022: “I Will Change the World By”
Use your imagination to create a film, song, artwork, photograph, poem, short story or dance routine. Each entry must be accompanied by an Entry Form (see end of this post for form ). Deadline for submission is Nov. 2.
- Literature– works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, reflective essay, screen play and play script, and short story.
- Visual Arts (2D or 3D) – Works of both fine and design arts are accepted, including but not limited to: architectural drawing and models, ceramics, collage, computer generated images and graphics, crafts, drawing, fashion clothes and jewelry, fiber work, mixed media, painting, printmaking, and sculpture.
- Photography – Photo must be a single print/digital image.
- Musical Composition – original musical composition, with or without words.
- Dance Choreography – originally choreographed dance composition.
- Film Production – original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video/film.
Who can participate?
Students from Kindergarten to 5th grade are invited to participate. During the judging portion, works are critiqued against others in the same grade division. There are 2 grade divisions:
- Primary – Kindergarten through 2nd grade
- Intermediate – 3rd through 5th grade
What do I, the student, do?
- Decide what the theme means to you and communicate that through your choice of the arts categories: Visual Arts, Literature, Photography, Choreography/Dance, Music Composition and Film Production
- Entries are created outside of school work.
- All artwork must be the ORIGINAL work of the student.
Can I make it any size and shape?
Because there are so many entries from across the country, there are specific guidelines on all of the entry types. A copy of these guidelines can be found at the bottom of this page. Please read carefully the Presentation and Format statements.
Do I need to fill out all the information on the Student Entry Form?
Yes, you do! In order to be qualified for the judging portion, you have to fill it out completely and submit it with your entry. It is very important to give your work a Title and complete the Artist Statement – a creative Title and a detailed Artist Statement is preferred. Please also have your parent/legal guardian sign the form along with your signature. Student Entry Forms are available in the office and below.
Do I need to submit my entry in a special format?
Yes. On the Rules and Guidelines forms, please check off items under the Checklist for Preparing Your Entry so that all guidelines are met. For Photography and Visual Arts entries, place artwork/photo in a plastic sleeve which can be found at local craft & art supplies stores.
When is it due?
November 2, 2021. Please submit completed project to the main office at Lakeview Elementary.
How will my participation be recognized?
Your artwork will go through a judging process and some entries will advance to the district competition. All students who submit an entry will be acknowledged for their participation. Some entries will win awards at the school level and then possibly at the Council, State and National level.
I still have questions?
If you have questions, please contact Renee Hesky: ReneeJohnson20@yahoo.com
Rules & Forms:
- Official rules can be found on the Washington State PTA website under “Student Entry Packet” tab located under “Resources.”
- Every artwork must have an entry form attached: Lakeview-Reflections-Entry-Form-2021