Reflections theme for 2018-2019:
“Heroes Around Me”
The Reflections program is a National PTA cultural arts competition. The purpose of this program is to provide an opportunity for students to creatively express themselves through their own original works of art created around a specific theme.
Use your imagination to create a film, song, artwork, photograph, poem, short story or dance routine. Each entry must be accompanied by an ENTRY FORM Lakeview-Reflections-Entry-Form-2018
- Literature– works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories and lyrics.
- Visual Arts (2D only) – drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking, needlework & leather tooling.
- Photography – color or black and white, including techniques: photogram, retouched, montage, sandwich and multiple exposure.
- Musical Composition – original musical composition, with or without words.
- Dance Choreography – originally choreographed dance composition.
- Film Production – original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or music video/film.
Who can participate?
Students from Kindergarten to 5th grade are invited to participate. During the judging portion, works are critiqued against others in the same grade division. There are 2 grade divisions:
- Primary – Kindergarten through 2nd grade
- Intermediate – 3rd through 5th grade
What do I, the student, do?
- Decide what the theme means to you and communicate that through your choice of the arts categories: Visual Arts, Literature, Photography, Choreography/Dance, Music Composition and Film Production
- Entries are created outside of school work.
- All artwork must be the ORIGINAL work of the student.
Can I make it any size and shape?
Because there are so many entries from across the country, there are specific guidelines on all of the entry types. A copy of these guidelines can be found at the bottom of this page. Please read carefully the Presentation and Format statements. 3D visual arts are NOT accepted by the Lake Washington PTSA Council Reflections program, please only submit 2D Visual Arts entries.
Do I need to fill out all the information on the Student Entry Form?
Yes, you do! In order to be qualified for the judging portion, you have to fill it out completely and submit it with your entry. It is very important to give your work a Title and complete the Artist Statement – a creative Title and a detailed Artist Statement is preferred. Please also have your parent/legal guardian sign the form along with your signature. STUDENT ENTRY FORMs are available in the office and here: Lakeview-Reflections-Entry-Form-2018
Do I need to submit my entry in a special format?
Yes. On the Rules and Guidelines forms, please check off items under the Checklist for Preparing Your Entry so that all guidelines are met. For Photography and Visual Arts entries, place artwork/photo in a plastic sleeve which can be found at local craft & art supplies stores.
When is it due?
The last Friday of October: October 26, 2018
How will my participation be recognized?
Your artwork will go through a judging process and some entries will advance to the district competition. All students who submit an entry will be acknowledged for their participation. Some entries will win awards at the school level and then possibly at the Council, State and National level.
I still have questions?
If you have questions, please contact the Reflections team: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rules & Forms:
- Lakeview-Reflections-Entry-Form-2018 – every artwork must have an entry form attached.
- Official rules can be found on the Washington State PTA website. NOTE: 3D Visual Arts are NOT accepted by Lake Washington PTSA Council Reflections.
Past Reflection Themes
- 2017-2018 – Within Reach
- 2016-2017 – What is Your Story
- 2015-2016: Let Your Imagination Fly
- 2014-2015: The World Would Be a Better Place If
- 2013-2014: Believe, Dream, Inspire